Open JAR file & run – that’s how it works
At first, I want to tell that here will discuss 2 way to run the JAR file. If you want to open or run a JAR file, you can easily use the right Java program. In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to open and run JAR files.
Open JAR file
A JAR file is a Java archive that typically contains several Java files. Since the JAR file is basically nothing more than a ZIP file with additional metadata, you can open it as follows:
- Open your default program to open ZIP files, such as WinRAR, WinZip or 7zip.
- If you are not sure or you do not have a ZIP program, you can download one of the above.
- Open the zip program and drag the JAR file into the program window to open it.
- If that does not work, navigate using the menu command File, then open and select the JAR file.
- Otherwise, you can also temporarily rename the JAR file to a ZIP file. You can rename a JAR file to a ZIP file to open it.
- Click on it and press the F2 key. Then change the extension from JAR to ZIP and confirm the hint.
- Now you can open it by double-clicking with your standard packing program. Then you can rename it back.
How to run a JAR file is explained below. See More: Best Bluetooth Speakers
Execute JAR file
To run a JAR file, you need the software Java Runtime Environment:
- Java Runtime Environment (64 bit)
- Java Runtime Environment
Then double-click the JAR file to run and install it if necessary. If your file is not linked to the JAVA program and instead opens the “Opens with” dialog, do the following:
- Change to the folder of your JAR file.
- Hold down the left shift key and right-click on an empty space in the folder.
- Then select the context menu entry Open prompt here.
- Now enter the following command: java -jar FILENAME
- Replaces FILENAME with the filename of your JAR file.
- The command looks like this: java -jar Prog_1b.jar
- Confirmed with the Enter key.
- Now the Java Installer opens to run the file.
The following video from the YouTube channel “TobY” shows the individual steps for copying:
Many of us enjoy playing games on Windows 10, and sometimes you might want to install .jar file in order to play games on Windows 10. If you haven’t done this before, today we’re going to tell you how to install .jar files to play games on Windows 10.
How to Play .jar on Windows 10
Users report that .jar files don’t come with a standard icon and apparently they don’t work on Windows 10. If you want to play games such as Minecraft you’ll have to work with .jar files, but if you can’t run .jar files at all then you have some problem with Java. Before we start fixing this issue we have to mention that it’s a good idea that you perform Windows Update and update your Windows 10 with latest patches. By updating Windows 10 you’ll prevent any potential incompatibility issues that you might have.
In order to run .jar files and Java games, you’ll need to have the latest version of Java. If you already have Java installed you should uninstall the version you have installed. To do so do the following:
- Open Control Panel and go to Programs and Features.
- On the list of installed software find Java and uninstall it.
After you’ve uninstalled Java you need to go to this site and download Java for your operating system. Bear in mind that some browsers don’t support so you might have to use different browsers, for example, Firefox, to download and install Java.
After you’ve installed Java you should be able to run .jar files and play Java games on Windows 10. We have to mention that this isn’t the best solution, but some users have reported that reinstalling and installing the latest version of Java on Windows 10 solved this issue.
If you know any other methods to open a JAR file quickly and easily, she likes to write us in the comments.